Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Welcome!

We're two busy ladies who like to cook and share the results with the people around us. We decided that a blog was a good place to combine our efforts and our interests when it comes to all things kitchen-related. And now, a bit about each of us.

Laurel
I grew up in a somewhat rural area in northeastern Pennsylvania. As a child, we were very much a "meat and potatoes" kind of family. Going away to college, moving out on my own and just the general process of becoming a full-fledged adult has served to widen my tastes and interests in food. Most of what comes out of my kitchen these days is some sort of hybrid product of the traditional comfort food I grew up with and the foods I came to appreciate as an adult. Because of that, you'll find a wide variety of posts coming from me - everything from brunch to dessert, and from meals-in-minutes to canning and food preservation. You'll find a few potatoes here, but I swear they'll be anything but plain ol' boiled, baked or mashed!

Kitchen Inspirations: Rachael Ray; Paula Deen; Alton Brown; Amish, Mennonite & PA Dutch recipes; recipes from the 1940s and 50s

Kitchen Philosophy: For my everyday cooking, I believe in keeping things tasty, frugal and somewhat healthy, but when I'm cooking for others or for a holiday/party, taste trumps cost and cholesterol!

Kira
I grew up 100% Pennsylvania Dutch. Much like Laurel I grew up on meat and mash potatoes. After leaving home I was able to live in New York City and Atlanta before settling in Washington DC, aka The District. I had the wonderful opportunity of working in restaurants and learning about local dishes. My cooking often focuses on turning meals into mini appetizers. You will see me take old time favorites and spin them with what I find at the local farmers market and what I can produce out of my tiny kitchen. I love to entertain so you will see an assortment of appetizers and party foods in my posts.

Kitchen Inspirations: Rachael Ray and Giada De Laurentiis and well.....my Nana taught me to appreciate Julia Child

Kitchen Philosophy: Make the flavor POP!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts, comments or questions. Keep it clean and polite - we are civilized ladies around here after all ;)